Guest Blogger: Rachel Blanton

How Will I Be Remembered?

The struggle of emotions and heartbreak was evident as thousands across America watched Julie Herbster’s funeral service this past Saturday. In May 2012, Julie was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Only 39, Julie left behind 5 beautiful children and a loving husband.

How was Julie remembered? For her vibrant personality and great speaking abilities? No. Julie was remembered as so much more. Julie was remembered as a quiet, devoted servant of God. Never desiring to be in the spotlight, Julie quietly served her God, disregarding recognition and reward. Thousands of lives were touched at her funeral because of Julie’s evident heart for the Lord. Some were touched because of the realization that they serve for recognition. Others were touched because, when given the opportunity to be praised, Julie wanted her Lord to be praised!

There is nothing that makes death more real than attending a funeral. What often floods the minds of everyone in the audience is the question, “How will I be remembered?” I often find myself brooding over that question, hoping that people will have at least a few good things to say about me. But oh, how my thinking is skewed! One’s reputation is important, but isn’t the glory of Christ much more important? Shouldn’t I desire instead to have Christ magnified through my life and death? Instead of accepting praise, I should give all the praise to my God, Who is worthy!

…so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body,

whether it be by life, or by death.

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Philippians 1:20-21

How will you be remembered? As one who lives his life for himself, or for Christ?